Best eBook Publishing Platforms 2020
Electronic books are very popular these days and more people than ever are becoming self-published authors. As a result, there are a lot of different e-book publishing platforms to choose from if you feel like getting in the car.
These sites essentially provide you with a space to advertise and sell copies of your ebook. They all work slightly differently and each one will take a small portion of the cake every time he earns some money.
We review and rank some of the best publishing sites below.
Best eBook Publishing Platforms 2020
Many authors upload their eBook to Amazon KDP, and then an aggregator site to reach other retailers. But don’t go crazy; the more platforms you have to deal with, the more of your precious time it’ll require – and there’s also no point submitting your book to the same stores more than once.
This is our round-up of the top publishing platforms for eBooks, but we’d recommend you check them (and others) for yourself:
Royalties: 60% from retailer, 80% from Smashwords Store
Smashwords is one of the best e-book aggregation sites: upload your book with them and it will reach Apple Books, Barnes and Noble, Kobo and load more retailers and library networks.
If you wish, they offer you a free ISBN and provide you with daily sales reports from the largest stores so you can track the performance of your book.
You will get 60% of sales through a retailer (since Smashwords also has a small cut) and 80% of the books sold in the Smashbooks store.
Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)
Royalties: Up to 70%
Amazon sells a HUGE amount of eBooks, so its publishing platform, Amazon KDP, is also very popular: through it, it can reach a large audience.
Accepts text documents and EPUB files, but converts them into a Kindle book for sale only on Amazon. KDP gives your book a free ASIN, which works as an ISBN.
The optional KDP Select program offers more royalties and advertising tools, but you must make your title unique to Amazon to use it (which means you cannot sell your book anywhere else).
Otherwise, you will receive 70% in royalties for books whose price ranges between $ 2.99 – $ 9.99 and 35% for books whose price is lower or higher than this, up to a maximum of $ 200.
KDP also offers a couple of free software bits if you want to publish illustrated books: use Kindle Kids’ Book Creator for illustrated books and Kindle Comic Creator for graphic novels and their hand-drawn masterpieces.
Apple iBooks Author
Cost: Free (Mac only)
iBooks Author is a gateway to publishing books in the Apple Books store and comes with a snazzy bit of free software to help you design your best-seller, including illustrated books.
However, books you save in iBooks format can only be sold through the iBooks Store. To sell anywhere else you’ll need to save your book in a different format but, as far as we can tell, iBooks Author only lets you save an iBook, a PDF, or a rudimentary text file and not an EPUB.
You’ll need a Mac system to be able to use it as well, so if you don’t own one, a better option for getting your eBook on Apple Books may be to use an aggregator site like Smashwords.
This is a fairly new aggregator site and has a more modern and sleek design than the old-school Smashwords, its main rival.
It doesn’t distribute to quite as many sites as Smashwords does, but it hits all the main ones like Amazon, iBooks, Barnes & Noble and Kobo.
The best thing about Draft2Digital is their automated formatting service, which turns your basic Word document into a smart, professional eBook – easy!
Royalties: 40–50% from retailers, 75% from Lulu books
Another up-and-coming eBook aggregator site, Lulu will distribute your eBook to all the major retailers (including Amazon).
However, unlike Draft2Digital, they won’t help you out with formatting and your book has to pass their Quality Assurance test to be accepted.
As such, unless you’re confident in doing this yourself, you might be better of going elsewhere. Just bear in mind that Lulu also offers a marketing service (at an extra cost) including website setup and publicity. Best eBook Publishing Platforms 2020
Kobo Writing Life
Kobo is a pretty big eBook retailer – although not on the same level as Amazon or Apple, it’s available in 190 countries.
They’ll convert your manuscript into EPUB format, and as long as your book is priced at £1.99 or more, you’ll receive 70% of your book’s listed price – any books cheaper than that will earn you 45%. Plus, you’re still completely free to publish your books elsewhere if you like!
Barnes & Noble Press
Formerly Nook Press, this is the official Barnes & Noble eBook publishing site – they’re a huge retailer in the US and have a big audience here in the UK too.
You’ll make 65% on any books priced at $2.99 or above, meaning you’ll earn more distributing directly through B&N rather than via an aggregator site. That said, uploading your books to individual retailers is more hassle. Best eBook Publishing Platforms 2020
You’ll benefit from all the extra promotion that comes with being on the B&N site (they have millions of customers), and they offer an easy-to-navigate dashboard so you can track sales.
Where should you publish your eBook?
When choosing a publishing platform, there are a whole host of different things to consider. Firstly, most publishing sites will fall into one of the following two categories:
- They sell books direct to readers – These sites function as eBook retailers (online shops) as well as publishers, and include the likes of Amazon, Apple Books and Barnes & Noble
- They distribute your eBook to a number of retailers – Known as aggregators, these sites will distribute your book to a number of retailers, including the ones listed above.
The second option sounds more appealing (surely more retailers means more customers, right?), but bear in mind they normally come with an added cost. Also, remember that a huge proportion of eBook sales are through Amazon alone.
So, how do you choose a platform that’s right for you? As with anything, look at a few, and compare their key features:
- How much do they charge for converting or hosting your book (heads-up: most don’t charge anything!)?
- Do you need your own ISBN number?
- Can you submit your book as a Word document?
- Which formats will your book be converted to? EPUB (short for ‘electronic publication’) is the most common and most versatile eBook format, but some sites may use different ones
- How long does conversion take?
- Can you download the converted EPUB if you need to? (It’s handy for marketing purpose)
- Can you transfer it to another publishing platform if you want to later on?
- How long will it take for your book to hit the stores? Which stores?
- How much will you earn on each sale (royalties)? Don’t forget your publishing platform AND the store will both want a cut!
- When will you get paid, how, and in what currency?
Alternatives to using a publishing platform
Publishing platforms take the elbow grease out of making an eBook – and definitely help get your title in front of customers – but you don’t have to use one.
Here are some other options you could try:
- Save your finished text document as a PDF (some word processing programs let you do this)
- Some word processing programs give you the option of saving your file as an EPUB, too – though it can play fast-and-loose with the layout!
- If you’re more tech-minded, you can code your own EPUB from scratch – or try Calibre, a free desktop converter that lets you get behind the scenes and knee-deep in code
You can then sell PDFs or EPUB files from your own website or blog – that way, you’re completely in control and any profit you make is 100% yours!
Once you’ve chosen your publishing platform, it’s time to get to work – we take you through the process of publishing and marketing your eBook step-by-step!
- 10 Best Unique Business Ideas For Women
- Did You Know You Can Make Thousands of Dollars From Quora?
- Yes It’s Possible To Make $1000-1500 From PINTEREST
- 10 Best Affiliate Marketing Websites Earn $1000-1500 Per Month
- 20 Easy Ways to Make Money Online In Pakistan
- 20 SIMPLE WAYS TO START SAVING YOUR MONEY
- 10 Unique Ways To Make Money In 2020